Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Resolving 2015

My New Year’s Resolution of 2015 was to live life to the fullest. When I made that resolution, I wasn’t sure what that meant exactly. I figured I’d start with being intentional, and to try to create as many occasions to "experience" as I could. I talked to the husband, and together we agreed to say yes to any speaking or traveling opportunities that came our way. We figured at worst, if we hated it, we wouldn’t do it the next year in 2016. 

So here’s how that went:

January: I said goodbye to my Auntie Gabe as we ceremoniously spread her ashes over the turquoise waters of Coral Bay in St. John, USVI. We celebrated her life onboard the 110ft ship named Silver Cloud. Though the trip was peaceful and serene, there was a snow storm back home, and most flights to the East Coast got cancelled. The flight home was one of the bumpiest and sweatiest rides I’ve ever been on.   
February: I surprised the husband with a 30th birthday trip to New Orleans where we got our fortunes read, ate beignets while watching street performers, had a gospel brunch at the House of Blues, and walked the hauntingly beautiful city that is Downtown New Orleans. I already can’t wait to go back and spend more time there.  
March: We took the kids to see Dan speak at a conference in Atlanta, and met a Beluga whale, and watched my youngest, Charlotte learn to walk.  
April: The husband and I celebrated our 7th anniversary in Paris, France under the Eiffel Tower, as we watched its spectacular twinkling lights and devoured sweet pillows from heaven (aka Merveilleux). We loved our first time dining at a 3 Michelin-starred restaurant, explored the Louvre, waved to the Mona Lisa, and ate melt-in-your-mouth croissants from street-side cafes. We took the train to London, where the husband spoke at a conference, and then we explored the crazy fun Harry Potter movie studios.  
May: We were scheduled to hang in Montana and Seattle for a bit, but I became severely ill and we had to cancel our plans. Gotta say, not my favorite month, and I’m still recovering from it.  
June: All four of us spent a week in San Diego with family, and visited the San Diego Zoo that I’ve wanted to go to since I was a little girl. We watched the dolphins and whales do tricks at Sea World, we rode the Winnie the Pooh ride at Disneyland twice, and enjoyed the sunny California weather.  
July: We flew into San Fransisco for two days for a friend’s gorgeous backyard wedding. I never understood the powers of jet lag until this short trip.  
October: The husband and I learned to surf from professional surfers and took a no-doors helicopter ride on the North Shore in Hawaii. I even got my first tattoos in Hawaii! We spent our mornings and evenings attending an (anti)conference that Dan was a part of called Epicurrence. We hung out at the Billabong house nestled against the famous Banzai Pipeline beach waves. We listened to professional surfers talk about almost dying, and smart people in the web industry get vulnerable and talk about their concerns. We drank out of coconuts, checked out the Polynesian center, and got drunk on the sunsets of Hawaii.  
November: The husband and I went to Amsterdam. We took a semi-private canal tour of the city, and learned a ton about it’s history (and bicycles). We spent 5 hours eating at a 2 Michelin-starred restaurant, and also explored the city’s flower market and shopping district while eating sugared waffles.  
December: We took the girls to LA to be a part of a family member’s wedding. We had a blast just being present with our girls and enjoying what excellent little jetsetters they are. We ate at yummy diners and restaurants, and took in the the gorgeous mountain views of the West Coast. 

Overall, I’ve learned that for me, “experiencing life to the fullest” means being present during the good and bad parts. It means mourning the loss of a loved one. It means clapping and dancing with a toddler when she takes her first steps. It means experiencing physical pain, and choosing to rise above it when it gets overwhelming. It means attending eight weddings in one year, eating lots of cake, and celebrating with friends and family as they choose love and commitment. And having TONS of photo booth pictures to prove it. 

I can confidently say that I lived my life to the fullest in 2015. I laughed and cried with friends family. I faced fears. I had epic adventures; I explored the world with the love of my life. I read a TON of books, I gained and lost weight, I tried way more things than I’d normally be comfortable with, and I found some freedom and peace… and I loved it. 

I declare 2015 a success! Achievement unlocked! Resolution resolved! 

Can’t wait to see 2016 brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions? Feel free to share! Keep it clean, please.