Tuesday, November 24, 2015

The Best Flat Tire Day Ever

The morning started out great. I had the girls dressed and buckled in car seats 30 minutes earlier than most mornings. I hop in the driver seat and notice my dashboard sloping so hard you could ski down it. I jump out and confirm my thoughts with my eyeballs: a flat tire.

Normally, my mind jumps right into work mode. What can I do to fix this? What is top priority right now? Get the girls to school? How? Fix the flat? How? But my mind wasn’t going there. I froze. Literally and figuratively. All I could focus on (while the 4 year old cried in the backseat) was the fact that my kids might not make it to school that day, and thus, my much anticipated day alone would be shattered. I called the husband, who is usually home at this time but had to work in the city, about an hour away. He (thankfully already in work mode) formed an action plan which helped me figure out my next steps. And really, what could’ve turned out to be a ruined day, turned into a fantastic one. And here’s why:

I’ve been reading a book called “The Mind Connection” by Joyce Meyer. She lays out how the thoughts you choose affect your mood, behavior, and decisions. I’ve been studying it like a textbook, complete with a neon highlighter handy, notebook adjacent, and notecards hanging from a keyring. Nerd-style. (I’ve yet to choose the right color pocket protector). While I’m on the Board of the School of Thought (yes, on the Board) that words are powerful, I am also beginning to see how equally powerful your thoughts are… and that you have control of them. Novel idea, right? I get to actually choose what I think? I’m not a product of my environment, or society, or education, or family, or personality? I get to choose? Despite my circumstances? What??!?!!!!

Anyways, back to the greatest day ever. 

So, my tire is flat:
  1. Me and the girls get to see Grandma this morning as she comes to the rescue and we bring them to school. I’m so grateful and thankful to have family nearby and willing to help at a moments notice. They rock.
  2. My car insurance provides free roadside assistance. Awesome!
  3. This is the first flat I’ve had on this car since we bought it almost 4 years ago. How fortunate! The super kind guy who came to change my flat tire had an apprentice with him, thus, I got a full demonstration on how to change a flat on my car. I generally know how to change a flat (thanks Dad), but it’s different on every car. For instance, my car requires a tire key (it prevents theft) and I had no idea what or where it was. Also, the spare tire is located under the middle of the car, behind the front passenger seat. Who knew? I thought spare tires were always in the trunk, and I even moved the stroller to the middle of the car in attempt to speed things up. So wrong. I'm glad I now know these things I took for granted.
  4. I get new tires for the winter. I’m so thankful I was home with the girls when the flat happened, rather than stranded on a highway in the middle of a snowy winter with two toddlers, worried about not getting to some important event or appointment. I am relieved to know that this winter will be easier and safer with new tires. I’m also incredibly thankful we have the money right now to handle this situation. 
  5. I have the luxury of a flexible schedule today. I am crazy lucky and blessed. I get to hang out at the dealership for couple of hours while my car is worked on. It is warm, has comfy chairs and tables, has bathrooms, TVs, free wifi, and a cafe with yummy food (the bread pudding calls my name). Nice. 
  6. I've found the perfect place to write. Yes, at a car dealership. While forced to sit and wait, I came up with an idea for the plot of a book I've wanted to write. Everything I may need is close-at-hand, with the added benefit of no responsibilities or things around to distract me. I don't even mind, (seriously, I sweetly smile) when they accidentally spray my car with some substance, and ask me to come back again another day for a full detail at their expense. 
I am not the luckiest girl in the world. You won’t see a picture of my face, complete with a duck lipped smile, plastered over a Time Magazine cover with the headline “Luckiest Girl in the World.” I have struggles, difficulties, and problems that I may or may not share with everyone. I get hit with the 1st world misfortunes, setbacks, hardships, and bad luck stick all the time. And sometimes it’s the 3rd world tragedy stick. But what makes me different than everyone else, what makes my life my own, is what I choose to do about those problems and what I choose to think about them. 


I’d be better suited for the cover (with a shy smile this time - no duck lips, thank you) of Time Magazine with this headline: “Girl Who THINKS She’s the Luckiest Girl in the World.” I choose to focus on my privileges, advantages, strengths, blessings, and sheer luck and use them in a way that benefits me and others. I choose to have a great day. I choose to turn a storm into something other than a storm. I (we) have the gift of choice over my (our) thoughts, thus, the gift of making the most of whatever comes my (our) way. That makes me feel - I choose to feel - rich, lucky, happy and grateful, no matter the circumstances. And I definitely intend to pay it back and pass it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions? Feel free to share! Keep it clean, please.