Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Thank God For Books

I got lost a lot growing up. I remember getting lost with my younger brother, Greg, while shopping in department stores like Strawbridge & Clothier. We’d hide from each other in those rings of clothing, behind the sales counters, and in fitting rooms. But eventually, some responsible grown up who hates fun would give us the stink eye, and drag us to the closest salesperson to find our mom. Once, we were so bored, I made up a game where whoever licked (yes, licked, like a dog) the most sparkly, sequined clothing was the winner. And my, what pride from that win. I’m still teased by my family about this game.  

As I got older, I learned to handle boredom with books. I found I loved getting lost while reading. My imagination drank from the rusted tin cup with the orphaned kids in The Boxcar Children. I made things move with my mind like Matilda, and ate chocolate with Charlie in Roald Dahl’s books. I was unsubdued and spunky with Ramona. I solved neighborhood mysteries with Encyclopedia Brown and hung out with an emotional pig and intelligent spider in Charlotte’s Web. I’d steal my older sister Leah's The Babysitter Club books. I wanted to be Claudia, and date Logan, and really, just be in the club! In the “Bible” of little girls books, I became a woman (in a garter belt?) and crushed on boys with Margaret. I shared an active imagination and literary ambitions with Anne of Green Gables

The book I connected with most was Harriet the Spy. Harriet is an 11 year old who loves writing and wants to become a writer. She has no problem eating the same food everyday - tomato sandwiches - because she loves them. She doesn’t care what people think of her outward appearance. Harriet is observant, perceptive, and brutally honest, which initially causes her to lose her friends, but in the end, all becomes well and she is made editor of the school newspaper. 

And then, Harry Potter came out in my early teens, and year after year I disapparated out of the muggle world and into the magical wizard world. 

Each time I had a baby (which is twice now), I felt the overwhelming feeling of being trapped. I felt I no longer possessed the ability to be the spontaneous me, who could jump when I wanted to jump. I could no longer walk outside my front door with out running through the long diaper bag list that was my mind. I had to think long and hard before RSVP’ing to events, and even when meeting a friend for lunch. While I expected all that would happen when I became a parent, nothing could’ve prepared me for it. Thankfully, I had something that helped me through it: books. 

While getting lost with my little brother in department stores isn’t much of an option anymore, getting lost in books is just as fantastic. I have a great and deep appreciation for my Kindle app. Seriously guys, the ability to buy books online when I can't just run out the door and buy the sequel at midnight has opened my world. Books helped me through the 2am feedings, through the long, wide-eyed infant nights, and relentless illnesses. Even now, when I don't know what to do all day with my toddlers, I read books to them. Books help distract me when I’m stuck in long lines, waiting in a doctor’s office, or when I’m anxious and just need to quiet my mind. They transport me to another world for a brief bit of time, and I love them for it. 

Let's have a moment of silence for books. 



P.S. I love talking books. Feel free to ask me at anytime what I'm reading, or tell me about your favorite book(s) or what you've read recently, and please, recommend some to me. Or just follow me on Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments or questions? Feel free to share! Keep it clean, please.